I need to be fingerprinted for employment purposes.  Can that be done at your department?

Answer:  Unfortunately, we do not provide fingerprint services. If an employment opportunity requires the applicant to submit fingerprints to state and federal agencies for clearances, please refer to the MACHS website and click on "Search for Fingerprint Location Near You" on their Fingerprint Portal to find a fingerprint service location near you:  Missouri Automated Criminal History System (MACHS)

We continually have speeding vehicles on our street, what can we do?

Answer: Neighborhood safety is a top concern for us. When you experience this type of problem, make notes as to the time of day and general description of the vehicle(s) involved. If the problem is a general nuisance problem, please call us (335-6621) and ask speak to speak with the Traffic Sergeant. You will be advised of the specific steps that will be taken in your case. Should the problem jeopardize immediate public safety please call our Communications Center at 335-6621, Option 1 or 911 as warranted.

When are jail visiting hours?

Answer:  Municipal jail visitations are by appointment only, on Saturdays and Sundays from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.  To schedule an inmate visitation, please call the Jail Unit at 573-339-6748 more than 24 hours in advance. 
How can I get a copy of a collision report?  

Answer: A person involved in a collision, or the registered owner of a vehicle involved in a collision, may pick up a copy of the report at the Cape Girardeau Police Department during Records business hours.  Report Fees: $1.25/first page, $0.10/each page after.  

Citizens can also access traffic collision reports through BuyCrash.com.  

Reports are accessible usually within 5 days following an accident, excluding weekends and holidays. Citizens can order a traffic accident report 24 hours a day through BuyCrash.com.

PLEASE NOTE:  Fatal traffic accident reports and incident reports related to an accident report, such as a DUI, will not be available online. These reports must be requested through the Records Unit.

Where is the Sheriff's Office?

Answer: The Cape Girardeau County Sheriff’s Office is located at 216 N. Missouri St., Jackson. Their phone number is 573-243-3551.  

When being stopped by the police what should I do and expect?
Answer: First of all, you're supposed to pull over to the right-hand edge or curb of the highway, clear of an intersection, and stop. Some people get confused and stop in the lane of traffic, creating a very dangerous situation. Others make left turns into private driveways or businesses, still others continue on their way, thinking (or possibly hoping) the sirens aren't for them. None of those last few examples are, of course, the correct thing to do and could lead to additional violations being charged.

After you're stopped, the officer will make contact with you, during which time you should be advised why you are being stopped. You are required to furnish the officer with your driver's and the vehicle's registration card, or a copy of that document. You should NEVER keep your Certificate of Title in your car. That is your proof of ownership of the vehicle. It doesn't validate your registration, and if someone else gets hold of it, they could try and claim the car as theirs.

You could be warned for the offense(s) you committed, or issued a citation. If you are issued a citation, the officer will explain what you're being cited for and ask you to sign the citation. The citation will have all of the pertinent information on it, including: the date and time of the alleged violation, your name, the offense(s) you're being cited for, the location of the offense(s), the officer's name, and applicable court dates and information. Signing the citation ISN'T AN ADMISSION OF GUILT, MERELY A PROMISE TO APPEAR.  

What happens if I drive my car without a license or on a suspended license?

Answer:  The Police Department has zero tolerance for unlicensed and/or suspended drivers who are identified behind the wheel. You can expect to be summonsed or arrested. Depending on the location of the vehicle stop, your vehicle may be towed. You will pay all fees associated with the offense, but this does not cover any towing service costs.   

Under what circumstances should I call 911?

Answer: Call 911 in an emergency situation when a person’s safety is endangered or a crime is in progress. For other routine business calls check your directory for the correct number of the unit or individual(s) you desire to speak with.

How long will I have to wait for a patrol car to respond to my call?
Answer: Calls for service are handled in order of priority based on the level of emergency each incident represents. Crimes in progress, rescues and felony crimes take precedence over non-violent crimes and report calls. Because emergency calls often require the coordinated efforts of many units, officers may be delayed arriving to non-emergency calls. Communications personnel continually review the current calls for service and should advise you by telephone if an officer expects a delay. Please do not use the 911-telephone system for non-emergency situations.

How can I find out if a sex offender lives in my neighborhood?

Answer:  You can obtain sex offender information by visiting the Cape Girardeau County Sheriff’s website.

What hours is the Police Department open?

Answer: The Department is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week: however, administrative and detective personnel primarily work weekdays during normal business hours. There is always a supervisor on-duty.

How can I pick up my property that was found or put in evidence?
Answer: The property office is open Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Completion of a “Property Recovery Form” is required to ensure property is retired to the rightful owner in a timely fashion. A government-issued form of identification will be required to claim the property.

What if I want to file a complaint against a police employee, or for that matter, compliment an employee on their actions?

Answer: At times, adverse interactions, perceptions or general concern over the manner in which an event was handled by law enforcement can give rise to a citizen requesting to make a complaint about service. You can discuss your concerns with the on-duty supervisor; however, if that fails to adequately address your questions or concerns, you may file a formal written complaint. To file a complaint against a member of the Cape Girardeau Police Department, gather as much information as possible. The following information will be helpful for the investigation: 1. Dates and Time of the Incident; 2. Location of the Incident;  3. Name, Badge Number, or description of the employee(s) involved and details of the event. You can contact us at 573-335-6621 and speak with any police department supervisor. A supervisor will take your complaint and have an investigator look into the matter and decide whether or not the employee's actions were in the realm of policy and procedure and if disciplinary action is warranted. The chief of police is advised of all citizen complaints.

Compliments in reference to employee performance are always welcome and mean a great deal to us. Complimenting an employee’s outstanding performance is best accomplished by writing to the Office of the Chief of Police (2530 Maria Louise Lane, Cape Girardeau, MO  63701) or by calling 573-335-6621.  The compliment will be forwarded through the employee’s supervisors and placed in their personnel file. 

How can I obtain an ex-parte/order of protection?

Answer: Petitions are to be filed with the Clerk of the Circuit Court of Cape Girardeau County at the Cape Girardeau County Courthouse (203 N. High Street, Suite 129, Jackson, MO; Phone: 573-335-8253).

The Clerk will explain the procedures for filing all forms and petitions. Petitions are also available at Police Headquarters, however, we encourage you to respond to the Common Pleas Courthouse as you will be required to file the paperwork with them.  

What if I have a child custody dispute?  

Answer: Child custody disputes are a complicated and time-consuming issue for law enforcement and can be emotionally trying and frustrating for parents and custodians. The Cape Girardeau Police Department would like to provide some tips and answers to frequently asked questions regarding this subject to help citizens navigate the system as they are faced with custodial conflicts.

The difficulty facing law enforcement related to custody disputes is based on the "gray area" between a violation of a civil order and a potential violation of criminal law. In other words, when a parent denies another parent access to their children for an amount of time, when will the prosecuting authority for the jurisdiction file criminal charges?

There is not a simple answer to this question and the ultimate decision would have to be made by the prosecuting entity of the jurisdiction where the alleged violation occurred and would have to be made based on all the facts of the individual case.

Custody disputes are often very complex and many times numerous court orders are issued, with each order changing or adjusting the previous one. The ultimate decision regarding the filing of criminal charges rests with the prosecuting entity of the jurisdiction where the violation occurred.

The Cape Girardeau Police Department would like to offer the following suggestions to citizens involved in custody disputes as a guide to assist them as they try to resolve this difficult issue:

  • Maintain official copies of all court orders regarding custody, visitation, and special circumstances.
  • Keep contemporaneous notes to document violations of standing court orders for use in subsequent hearings.
  • Resolution through civil court proceedings is preferred and all attempts to gain compliance through this remedy should be exhausted.
  • Law enforcement intervention should be utilized to investigate blatant violations or to intervene when facts indicate the children's welfare is in jeopardy.
  • If you believe your children are in immediate danger, please contact law enforcement to check their welfare.  

Does Cape Girardeau have a Halloween schedule (date/time)?

Answer:  There is no official schedule (date/time) for celebrating trick-or-treating in Cape Girardeau.  

What do I need to know about discharging fireworks in Cape Girardeau?

Answer:  Dates for discharge of fireworks:
 June 27-July 3 between 10:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m.
 July 4 beginning at 10:00 a.m. until midnight July 5.  

Legal and Illegal Fireworks:
In Cape Girardeau, only Class C fireworks are allowed to be sold or discharged. Class C fireworks are referred to as “common fireworks” and include the everyday fireworks that are normally sold to individuals.  They include the normal size firecrackers, sparklers, fountains, spinners, roman candles, and rockets.  

No bottle rockets or any other “aerial device” which utilize a straight and rigid stick attached to it may be sold, distributed, possessed, or discharged within city limits.  

Police officers may confiscate fireworks, and issue citations with fines up to $500.  

The city ordinances covering fireworks are found in Chapter 11, specifically sections 11-46 through 11-54.  

Requirements to sell fireworks in Cape Girardeau:
Fireworks can be sold in Cape Girardeau from 8:00 a.m. through 10:00 p.m. during the period of June 27 through July 4.  Each retailer must have a City merchant’s license for each stand, a County merchant’s license, as well as a permit from the Missouri Department of Fire Safety.  The City merchant’s license can be obtained at the Customer Service Office located in City Hall.  The County merchant’s license can be obtained at the County Collector’s Office located in the Common Pleas Courthouse Annex in Cape Girardeau and at the County Administration Building in Jackson, MO.  To obtain the permit from the Missouri Department of Fire Safety, you must contact the Missouri Division of Fire Safety, P.O. Box 844, Jefferson City, MO  65102. Applicants can call toll-free: 1-800-877-5688 for the application.  

Other Reminders:

  • It is unlawful to throw fireworks from a vehicle, or at or in to a vehicle.
  • It is unlawful to discharge any fireworks at or near any person or group of people.
  • It is unlawful for any individual under the age of 17 years of age to purchase of attempt to purchase, possess or offer false proof of age to attempt to purchase fireworks.
  • It is unlawful for anyone under 17 years of age to possess or discharge fireworks unless under the direct supervision of a parent or guardian.  

How do I pay fines from a traffic citation?  

Answer:  Only specific violations may be paid by mail to municipal court.  You must appear in municipal court on all other violations and accident violations. The Cape Girardeau Police Department cannot process citation fees. Municipal court is located next to the Police Department. Call 573-339-6323 or visit cityofcape.org/court for more information on traffic violations.

  • Contact Info
  • 2530 Maria Louise Lane Cape Girardeau, MO 63701

  • Telephone 573.339.6621
  • Email [email protected]