Rose Garden

The idea for a Rose Test Garden was first promoted in 1931 by Mrs. Thomas G. Harris and Mrs. Chris El Stiver of Cape Girardeau. Established in 1954, the Rose Garden has been part of Cape Girardeau's history for over a half a century and resides in Capaha Park.

The garden was accepted as a nationally accredited Rose Display Garden in October of 1955. When the garden was one-year-old it received two coveted awards: The State Achievement Award in May of 1956 and the Kelloge Medal for Civic Achievement in June of 1956. Reader's Digest published an article about the garden in March of 1961 which was read by 35 million readers. 

The garden survives solely on contributions and volunteerism donated by the community, the City of Cape Girardeau Department of Parks and Recreation, and the Career and Technology Center.

The most recent, on-going project taken on by volunteers of the Rose Garden is creating the Walkway of Honor. The Walkway of Honor will be a walkway constructed though the garden paved with personalized, granite stones dedicated in memory of, or in honor of, individuals.

For more information on the Rose Garden or to purchase a paver stone, contact Barb Blanchard at bablanchard@yahoo.com.


Photo of the Rose Garden.


  • Contact Info
  • 410 Kiwanis Drive
    Cape Girardeau, MO 63701
  • Telephone 573.339.6340
  • Email parks@cityofcape.org
  • Rainout Line 573.975.1024