The City of Cape Girardeau provides water, sewer, trash (solid waste) and recycling services for residents and businesses. The City does not provide electricity (Ameren Missouri), cable or satellite for residents.

New Accounts, Transfers, Accounts to be Shut Off

In order to start a new account, or to transfer an existing utility service account, then the person financially responsible for the account has to come into the Utility Billing Office at Osage Center with the following:
  • A valid drivers' license or passport
  • Pay a deposit: $174 for a house or $126 for an apartment with four or more apartments in the building
    (You may bring in a letter of credit from another utility provider in lieu of a deposit. This needs to be shown for at least 12 months, with no penalties or disconnects.)
  • Pay any prior outstanding bills (applies to transfers)
  • Required copy of lease from your new landlord.
In order to turn off water, sewer and trash service, someone may either come into the office or make this request over the phone (573-339-6322). Additional information may be required.

Billing Schedule

City of Cape Girardeau accounts are billed for water, trash and sewer on a monthly basis. A bill will be mailed to the account holder according to your billing cycle, which is based on the date which you started service. Bills are always mailed out on a Wednesday and payment is due two weeks later. Bills are considered delinquent after the third week, with a 10% penalty being added to the amount due. Accounts are disconnected after two missed payments. We recommend AutoPay.

Disconnect Policy

You will receive a disconnect notice when your account is two months behind on payments and a third month's bill is getting ready to be mailed. Once you've received a disconnect notice, then you may either pay the amount that's due in full or sign a extension to postpone the date of payment. The extension date is established by the Utility Billing Office according to when your current bill is due. In order to sign a extension, you will need to come in to the office with your driver license and sign the extension prior to your disconnect date. You may not sign a extension until you actually have a disconnect notice issued for your account. If your utility services are disconnected, then a fee and a deposit (if there is no deposit on the account), along with the past due charges will need to be paid before your services are reconnected.

User Charges
  • Water: $9.41 meter charge + water usage (based on a 5/8" meter)
  • Sewer: $13.13 + $3.23 per hundred cubic feet of water
  • Trash: $24.44 (Fuel surcharge added; varies monthly)

Making Payments

There are several convenient ways to pay your monthly utility bill:
  • At the Utility Billing Office during normal business hours (7:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.). We accept cash, checks, money orders, or credit/debit cards.
  • Pay AutoPay, which allows your current bill to be deducted from a designated checking/savings account at no additional charge.


Utility Billing Office

Osage Center -1625 North Kingshighway
Cape Girardeau, MO 63701
573-339-6322 Telephone
573-339-6306 Fax
Email: c[email protected]

HOURS: Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.