New Lorimier Cemetery

There were no burial records prior to 1967 or they have not been found many of the records prior to 1975 were not always correct. All records that are available at this time have been created from years of research of available area funeral home records, city mortuary records and by walking of the cemetery row for row taking a census of the names and dates on the monuments.

For many years grave spaces were sold only in blocks of four (4), half lots or eight (8), whole lots, which became known as family plots. Many of these plots have concrete walls surrounding them and some have dividers between graves. Persons could only purchase less than four (4) graves in what was known as the single row area. Each section contains lots that were used for the sale of single graves to persons that did not need or wish to purchase the required number of graves in other areas. For this reason many persons bought more spaces than they needed to avoid the single row areas, this is the reason many lots have unused grave spaces. Some lot owners allowed relatives with different family names or persons other than family members be buried in their lot, with many graves being left unmarked. This creates a problem when trying to research burial records for the cemetery. It is not known as to whether the graves are unmarked or if the grave was never used. 

An eight (8) crypt family mausoleum is located in the east center of section (1). This constructed for the Pieronnet family in or about 1916. The upkeep of this structure is the responsibility of that family’s descendents. The mausoleum was struck by lightning in April 1984 and the interior was almost totally demolished. Only three of the crypt covers were spared. The southwest decorative corner was broken off and the front step was moved five feet east on the south end and the south door was blown off. 

An eight (8) to twelve (12) grave area in the southwest corner of section three (3) was used for the burial of black persons. There may be one or two black persons who are buried in family plots of their slave owners or of a person they worked for. Otherwise the cemetery was by all indications segregated until the early 1980's. 

About thirty (30) lots or two hundred sixty (260) graves were eliminated in the northwest corner of section four (4), this to allow room for the construction of the large mausoleum building. 

One or more rows of lots were eliminated in sections four (4), five (5) and six (6) on east side of the cemetery, due to the placement of a drainage ditch there. Some seventy‑nine (79) lots or six hundred thirty two (632) grave spaces were eliminated. 

The western half of the ninth row, from west, of lots in sections five (5) and sections six (6) was eliminated, so a driveway could be placed through. The south half of the southern most lots in section six (6) was also eliminated and used for a driveway. 

MAUSOLEUM 
"The Temple of Rest" structure was dedicated December 1, 1917. Two hundred forty (240) crypts are located inside; most of which were purchased prior to its construction or dedication. The building built and maintained with private funds, but after all crypts were sold and funds became limited it was deeded to the City of Cape Girardeau in the 1960's. All of the crypts have been sold with a large majority of them used. The structure is located in the northwest corner of section four (4) of the cemetery. 

SECTION 7 
This area was established in November 1993 and is located directly adjacent to the north side of section four (4) and on the south side of section eleven (11) of Fairmount Cemetery. The area had left open for a possible extension of Pemiscot Street, with there being no plans for that use it was made into cemetery spaces. One hundred forty four (144) were created for sale and use. 

Notes by: 
Terrell Weaver


  • Contact Info
  • 410 Kiwanis Drive
    Cape Girardeau, MO 63701
  • Telephone 573.339.6340
  • Email parks@cityofcape.org
  • Rainout Line 573.975.1024