Please call 339-6327 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
|General Requirements: The dwelling is to be safe, clean, sanitary, fit for human occupancy and comply with all applicable legal requirements of the state and the city, including the following requirements:
- Must have proper functioning smoke alarm installed outside of the sleeping area(s) in the immediate vicinity of the bedrooms, in each bedroom, and on each floor level including the basement, cellar, and/or habitable attic.
- Must exhibit no evidence of pest infestation.
- All windows and doors must be maintained in good condition and function properly.
- Kitchen faucet, sink, and drains must be maintained in good condition and function properly.
- Kitchen area must have cabinets and/or shelves for storage.
- Must have adequate space and hookups for stove and refrigerator.
- Bathroom faucet, lavatory, and drains must be maintained in good condition and function properly.
- Bathtub/shower faucet and drains must be maintained in good condition and function properly.
- Toilet must be securely fastened to floor, maintained in good condition and function properly.
- Plumbing system must be maintained in good condition and function properly.
- Electrical service panel, switch, receptacle, and junction box covers must be in place.
- There can be no exposed electrical wiring connections.
- There must be exterior lighting fixtures installed at entrances and exits.
- Electrical system must be safe, compliant, and function properly.
- There must be a securely fastened handrail installed on steps with 4 or more risers.
- There must be securely fastened guards installed on landings more than 30 inches high.
- With limited exceptions, bedrooms must have approved emergency egress doors or windows leading directly to the outside with a minimum clear opening of 24 inches high and 30 inches wide.
- Exhaust fans and dryers must be ventilated to the outside.
- Furnished appliances must function properly.
- There must be an approved and properly functioning heating system.
- Rental unit must be maintained in a clean and sanitary condition.
- Interior ceilings, walls, floors, and stairs must be maintained in good condition.
- Exterior roof, walls, foundation, decks, porches, and steps must be maintained in good condition.
- Rental unit must be structurally sound and safe to occupy.
Application for Rental License
Rental Property Complaint
Rental Resource Links
Cape Area Landlord Assoc. (email)
Rental Guide (Chamber of Commerce)
Missouri's Landlord-Tenant Law (PDF)
CDC Bed Bugs FAQs
EPA Guide to Bed Bugs
Bed Bug Control Best Practices
Pest Control: Resources for Managers
Resources for Apartment Residents
Help! It’s a Roach!
Preventing Pests at Home (PDF)
A Brief Guide to Mold
East Missouri Action Agency
Anna Kangas, AIA - Building & Code Enforcement Manager
Gary Hill - Property Maintenance & Zoning Inspector
Allan Fletchall - Property Maintenance & Zoning Inspector
Debra Tucker - Administrative Secretary
Beth Little - Development Coordinator
City Hall - 2nd Floor
401 Independence Street
Cape Girardeau, MO 63703