The City of Cape Girardeau provides water, sewer, trash (solid waste) and recycling services for residents and businesses. The City does not provide electricity (Ameren Missouri), cable or satellite for residents.
New Accounts, Transfers, Accounts to be Shut Off
In order to start a new account, or to transfer an existing utility service account, then the person financially responsible for the account has to come into the Customer Service Office at City Hall with the following:
In order to turn off water, sewer and trash service, someone may either come into the office or make this request over the phone (573-339-6322). Additional information may be required.
- Driver license
- Pay a deposit: $75 for a house or $51 for an apartment with four or more apartments in the building
(You may bring in a letter of credit from another utility provider in lieu of a deposit. This needs to be shown for at least 12 months, with no penalties or disconnects.)
- Pay any prior outstanding bills (applies to transfers)
- May need a copy of your lease from your landlord to verify various information
City of Cape Girardeau accounts are billed for water, trash and sewer on a monthly basis. A bill will be mailed to the account holder according to your billing cycle, which is based on the date which you started service. Bills are always mailed out on a Wednesday and payment is due two weeks later. Bills are considered delinquent after the third week, with a 10% penalty being added to the amount due. Accounts are disconnected after two missed payments. We recommend AutoPay.
You will receive a disconnect notice when your account is two months behind on payments and a third month's bill is getting ready to be mailed. Once you've received a disconnect notice, then you may either pay the amount that's due in full or sign a pay agreement to postpone the date of payment. The pay agreement date is established by the Customer Service Office according to when your current bill is due. In order to sign a pay agreement, then you will need to come in to the office with your driver license and sign the agreement prior to your disconnect date. You may not sign a pay agreement until you actually have a disconnect notice issued for your account. If your utility services are disconnected, then a fee and a deposit (if there is no deposit on the account), along with the past due charges will need to be paid before your services are reconnected.
Water: $7.91 meter charge + water usage (based on a 5/8" meter)
Sewer: $12.19 + $3.00 per hundred cubic feet of water
Trash: $19.25 (Fuel surcharge added; varies monthly)
There are several convenient ways to pay your monthly utility bill:
- At the Customer Service Office during normal business hours (7:30 a.m.-5 p.m.). We accept cash, checks, money orders, or credit/debit cards (Visa, MasterCard, or Discover).
- Pay online. Please note: There is a $3.50 convenience fee charged for each online transaction with a $400 maximum payment allowed. Completed payments will be recorded to your account within 1-2 business days.
- Place your payment in the drop box located at the south side of the City Hall building under the porch awning.
- Pay your current bill at Schnucks (an additional fee may be incurred at this location).
- Sign up for AutoPay, which allows your current bill to be deducted from a designated checking/savings account at no additional charge.
Customer Service Office
City Hall - 401 Independence Street
Cape Girardeau, MO 63703
HOURS: Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.