Register a Sign Online
Download Sign Registration Form
Download Sign Brochure
|The Cape Girardeau Sign Ordinance is a regulatory document created to maintain the design, approval and use of signs and other informational tools within city limits. By being mindful of the adopted Code and its various provisions, citizens, businesses and organizations can work together with the City to improve and maintain a higher visual quality of life.
Numerous technical guidelines apply to certain types of signs, especially business-related signs. For more information please contact the Inspection Services Division at 573-339-6327 or email@example.com.
The following signs are specifically prohibited in city limits:
- Any sign obstructing or interfering with a driver’s line of sight.
- Signs attached to any utility pole or other device, including trees, located in the public right-of-way.
- Signs that blink, flash or employ animation that have the appearance of traffic lights or signs or emergency vehicles.
- Banner signs other than those specifically authorized in the Code.
Signs pertaining to candidates for public office and primary, general or special election ballot issues are premitted in all zoning districts. Political signs may be placed on private property and only withthe permission of the property owner. Political signs cannot be placed in any portion of public or street right-of-ways.
Real Estate Signs
Real estate signs are permitted in all zoning districts subject to certain limitations. Signs directing the public to a property which is for sale are allowed only on private property with the permission of the property owner. Real estate signs must be removed no later than thirty (30) days after the closing of the sale or execution of a lease agreement.
Real estate signs advertising the sale of a single residential lot may be placed on that lot without limitation to number or size of signs. A banner or other type of sign may also be placed on the property to advertise an open house for that residential lot. This open house sign may be posted no sooner than forty-eight (48) hours before the open house and must be removed no later than the end of the day on which the open house is held. However, in no event may such a sign be posted more than three (3) consecutive days.
Real estate signs advertising the sale or lease of space within commercial or manufacturing buildings or vacant land shall be no greater than thirty-two (32) square feet in area nor greater than six (6) feet in height. Commercial signs are limited to one (1) sign per street front.
Garage Sale Signs
Garage sale signs must be placed only on private property. Signs may be posted one day before the day of the sale and must be removed by the end of the day of the sale. Directional signs for the sale may be placed at street intersections but must be placed only on private property. These signs must include the address and the date of the sale and must also be removed by the end of the day of the sale.
Electronic, Video and Digital Message Signs
A sign capable of displaying words, symbols, figures or images that can be electronically or mechanically changed by remote or automatic means. Specific guidelines for these signs include the following:
- The maximum size of the electronic, video, or digital message portion of signs in the CBD, C-1, C-2, PD, M-1 or M-2 zoning districts shall not exceed fifty (50) square feet.
- The maximum size of the electronic, video, or digital message portion of signs in the NC district or on the premise of any non-residential use in any residential district shall not exceed thirty-two (32) square feet.
- Electronic, video, or digital message signs in an NC district or on the premise of any non-residential use in any residential district shall be turned off no later than 10 p.m. and not turned on before 7 a.m.
- Flashing of messages or images is prohibited.
- Scrolling messages are allowed, but shall not exceed eight (8) seconds in length.